The Resource Data page shows all the resources included in the OBS node filters you've selected (via the funnel-shaped Filters icon in the top right Resource First icon tray), along with resource attributes. This page enables the addition of new resources, deletion (or inactivation) of existing resources, and editing of resource information (for users with the appropriate rights level).
Note in particular the actions possible using the buttons at upper left. Hovering over the buttons shows the functionality:
From left to right, the icons represent:
- Add Resource
- Delete Resource
- Show Skills Grid (for assigning secondary skills)
Resource Data Fields (Attributes)
Some important resource data fields are:
· Resource- The name of the resource.
· Resource Org- The organization node in the resource OBS in which the resource works.
· Primary Skill (or Role) - The primary skill of the resource.
· Key- This field links the resource to a user in the user table. The user login ID would go here. This is necessary to facilitate actuals tracking using timesheets, and to facilitate Home Page functionality.
· RActive- Whether the resource is an active employee.
· Date Hired- The date the resource was hired.
· Date Terminated- The date the resource was terminated (or will be). If active employee, this field will be blank.
· User Defined Fields- Additional fields may be defined for customer specific purposes. Common examples are Resource Type (employee, contractor, temporary), Location, Employee Number, Cost Center, and Supervisor.
On the Resource Data page, click + sign
Select a Resource Organization Breakdown Structure (OBS) from the drop down list, or type a portion of the OBS and all partial matches will appear for you to select from.
For information on adding and/or maintaining a Resource OBS, please refer to Administering the OBS.
Enter Resource Name, e.g. “Williams, Cynthia” and click Add button, and the new resource will be saved to the database and visible in the Resource Data page.
Edit other field values as needed for the resource and save your changes using the Save button at upper right.
To edit resource information in the Resource Data tab, select the resource record, and click on the cell you want to edit, e.g. change Primary Skill. The grid will automatically change the input control to match the data required for the field (e.g., text, list, or date).
You can edit multiple records before saving your changes to the database. Each edited field will have a small red marker on it to indicate a change (see screenshot below for an example). This means the data hasn't been saved yet.
Save your changes using the Save button at upper right.
Note: To completely delete a resource, see Deleting Resources. However, in almost all cases, it is better to deactivate the resource instead, using the RActive field.
When you uncheck the RActive flag of a resource, a dialog will show up requesting instructions how to deal with future demand:
· Convert – will convert all future demand from the day of deactivation (or termination day if that is provided) to a skill assignment
· Delete – will delete all future demand from the day of deactivation (or termination day if that is provided)
Don’t forget to save.
To assign a resource to a project, you can click on a resource name. Clicking once allows you to change the resource name, and also produces and arrow you can click on to drill down into a resource.
Click the shaded grey arrow to the right of the resource name:
You will then be presented with the Resource Workspace, where you can enter assignments, allocate the resource to teams, and perform other functions..
On the Assignments tab, you can then enter assignments. See Assignments Overview and its related articles for more on entering assignments.
Managing Skills of a Resource
The simplest approach is to enter/modify the Primary Skills field in the Resource Data tab. If the new primary skill does not exist for the Resource in the detailed skill list, it will automatically be added in the detailed list with the highest proficiency rating. Note that the prior Primary Skill is not removed from the detailed skill list. If this is desired, it can be done using the skills icon.
For more detailed skill configuration, clicking the “Show Skills Grid” button lists detailed skill and proficiency information about the selected resource.
Don’t forget to save after making skills changes. To make the Skills Grid invisible, click the “Show Skills Grid” button again.