The Resource Data page shows all the resources included in the OBS node filters you've selected (via the funnel-shaped Filters icon in the top right Resource First icon tray), along with resource attributes. This page enables the addition of new resources, deletion (or inactivation) of existing resources, and editing of resource information (for users with the appropriate rights level).
Note in particular the actions possible using the buttons at upper left. Hovering over the buttons shows the functionality:
Resource Data Fields
Some important resource data fields are:
· Resource- The name of the resource.
· Resource Org- The organization node in the resource OBS in which the resource works.
· Role- The primary skill of the resource.
· Key- This field links a user in the user table to the resource. This is necessary to facilitate actuals tracking using timesheets, and to facilitate Home Page functionality.
· RActive- Whether the resource is an active employee.
· Date Hired- The date the resource was hired.
· Date Terminated- The date the resource was terminated (or will be). If active employee, this field will be blank.
· User Defined Fields- Additional fields may be defined for customer specific purposes. Common examples are Resource Type (employee, contractor, temporary), Location, Employee Number, Cost Center, and Supervisor.
Select Resources> Data and click + sign
Select a Resource Organization Breakdown Structure (OBS) from the drop down list, or type a portion of the OBS and all partial matches will appear for you to select from.
For information on adding and/or maintaining a Resource OBS, please refer to Administering the OBS.
Enter Resource Name, e.g. “Williams, Cynthia” and click Add button, and the new resource will be saved to the database and visible in the Resource Data page.
Edit other field values as needed for the resource and save your changes using the Save button at upper right.
To edit resource information in the Resource Data tab, select the resource record, and click on the cell you want to edit, e.g. change Primary Skill. The grid will automatically change the input control to match the data required for the field (text, list, and date).
You can edit multiple records before saving your changes to the database. Each edited field will have a small red marker on it to indicate a change (see above).
Delete Resource (USER BEWARE!)
Selecting one or more Resource rows and clicking the “Delete” icon will remove the Resource and all of their assignment/actuals history from the database. A warning is provided:
Note: In almost all cases, it is better to deactivate the resource instead, using the RActive field. See next section.
When you uncheck the RActive flag of a resource, a dialog will show up requesting instructions how to deal with future demand:
· Convert – will convert all future demand from the day of deactivation (or termination day if that is provided) to a skill assignment
· Delete – will delete all future demand from the day of deactivation (or termination day if that is provided)
Don’t forget to save.
Clicking the “Assign” button allocates the Resource to a Project need. Enter part of the Project name and click on the search icon. A wild card is automatically added before and after the partial search key. Select the project desired and click Assign. If you want the full list of projects, just click the search icon without typing anything.
Enter the forecast in each interval and click Save button in upper right.
Hyperlink to Resource
Clicking the Resource name for an individual resource takes the user to the Team Member center for that Resource.
The Resource Team Member center capabilities are similar to those in the Resource Center tabs, just focused on that individual resource.
Managing Skills of a Resource
The simplest approach is to enter/modify the Primary Skills field in the Resource Data tab. If the new primary skill does not exist for the Resource in the detailed skill list, it will automatically be added in the detailed list with the highest proficiency rating. Note that the prior Primary Skill is not removed from the detailed skill list. If this is desired, it can be done using the skills icon.
For more detailed skill configuration, clicking the “Show Skills Grid” button lists detailed skill and proficiency information about the selected resource.
Don’t forget to save after making skills changes. To make the Skills Grid invisible, click the “Show Skills Grid” button again.