The Baseline-Forecast-Actual (BFA) module provides the following features:
- Set a project phase baseline including project data and labor forecast
- Capture current labor forecast as a baseline plan
- View baselines, forecast, and actuals with variances in report and chart form
- Display historical baselines with forecast and actuals on sheets and charts
- Capture resource actual effort on project assignments
The process premise is that life cycle phase resource baselines and ad hoc project plan changes can be saved for comparison to actual performance.
This module contains four worksheets; Project Summary, Actual Entry, Program Summary, and Resource Summary.
- Project Summary: summarizes values from assignments by project
- Actual Entry: contains an entry for every resource or skill assignment in the current Get Data download
- Program Summary: summarizes values from assignments by program
- Resource Summary: summarizes values from assignments by resource
The Baseline-Forecast-Actual module is used by
- project managers or resource managers to capture the current Effort Forecast labor demand (skill and resource assignments) as a named baseline, and
- resource managers to capture actual effort by resources on project assignments
- any user to examine and compare baselines to actual-forecast.
Select Values (Rows) for Display
The rows displayed for each record can be controlled on each sheet through the right click menu or by setting the options in the Table Value Options dialog.
Save Project Baselines
To save a baseline, select one or more projects, click menu Baseline/Actuals > Save Baseline. Then enter a baseline name or select a previously entered name from the drop down list.
This command is available only if the selection is in the label area on the Project Summary sheet.
It executes the following steps for each selected project:
- Copies current forecast demand for each resource and skill assignment to the associated baseline record.
- Presents a dialog in which the user selects the phase name for the baseline.
- Saves the baseline to the database.
- Executes the Database-Submit Status with Baseline to capture all project fields from Project Data and the current milestone dates and names.
If the baseline name dialog is cancelled or an invalid name is chosen, the Forecast to Baseline portion of the operation remains in effect but nothing is written to the database. If the module is then closed, the “Save Baseline?” message appears.
“Yes” to this message does NOT submit project status to the database.
On any of the four sheets, select one or more records to be baselined. Right click in the selection and click the Forecast to Baseline command.
Selection entirely in the period data area
Baseline only the selected periods for the selected records
Selection in the label area
Baseline all periods for the selected records
Selection in the rows above the column titles
Baseline all periods for all records