PDWare Portfolio IS:
The purpose of this application is to help the organization define and manage an achievable portfolio of projects.
It does this by
- capturing and analyzing what resource managers know about the deployment of their resources
- capturing and analyzing what project managers know about the status and critical parameters of their projects
- providing views and reports to the management team showing problem areas for discussion and resolution.
Characteristics of the application:
Identifies portfolio resource and balance issues
- Highlights resource contention problems in the portfolio and provides methods for examining alternative solutions.
- Stimulates discussion of exceptions among project managers, resource managers, and portfolio/pipeline managers.
- Low overhead method for resource managers to plan the deployment of their resources.
- Simple rollup of resource deployment plans
- Captures history (baseline, forecasts, actual) for analysis and improvement
- Uses resource allocation by priority to highlight portfolio planning problems
- Uses baseline (contract) versus resource forecast (staffing plan) to highlight execution problems
PDWare Portfolio IS NOT:
- Not about detailed project planning and execution
- Not automated resource leveling (allocation is NOT leveling).
- PDWare Portfolio allocation does NOT produce a recommended solution to resource contention problems.